It is with tears in our eyes and heavy hearts that the BOD announces the cancellation or postponement of Reclaimation 2020. With the safety of the Reclaimation community, and the world at large, we have made this somber decision. We looked at several different variables before coming to this difficult decision.
First off, the safety of the community will always come first. With new CDC guidelines asking organizers to cancel/postpone events over 50 people in the next 8 weeks, we found it prudent to follow those guidelines since we are approximately 7 weeks out from the burn.
Secondly, if you take a look at our financials, you’ll see that we run on a very tight budget. If we went ahead with infrastructure purchases and vendor payments like portos and firewood, and then subsequently had to cancel closer to the event, we would not be able to issue refunds.
Thirdly, ticket sales have come to a screeching halt as of a little over a week ago. Although we were funded well enough to cover all budgets, any unexpected surprises (such as a sharp increase in insurance rates) would have been detrimental to the survival of Reclaimation for next year.
We are asking you, the community, to tell us whether you wish to cancel and refund invite money or postpone until later in the year, if possible. We will post this information in a forthcoming newsletter and put up a discussion thread and poll on this page sometime this week. If you desire a refund, please email [email protected] with the names of the purchaser.
The work/play for this coming weekend has also been canceled. Together, albeit separately, for the time being, we will get through this difficult time. Make art, build those tiny little effigies for when Reclaimation does happen, and dream of how awesome it will be when we come together to burn again